Saturday, May 2, 2009

Karapatan or Rights Issues

We better evaluate which is the way of the Lord. To suffer, to shout in the streets for trampled rights. What is a right, by the way? One common concept is that it is something one may properly claim as due. There might be different nuances or angles to the word. One thing sure, because of religious backgrounds, it could mean some expected conduct or behavior towards our neighbor based on the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ, who taught universal love towards all men and women, even inclusive of enemies. Contrariwise the devil teaches hatred and revenge and anger (cf. Eph. 4:26-27; Jn. 8:44). "Love never wrongs the neighbor, hence love is the fulfillment of the law" (Rom. 13:10).

To speak more concretely, since we call Jesus the "Lamb of God," what mode of action depicts the likeness of Jesus? In paragraph 1701 of the book of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska, she refers to Jesus' advice to her: "I asked the Lord today that He might deign to teach me about the interior life, because of myself I can neither understand nor conceive anything perfectly. The Lord answered me: I was your Teacher, I am and I will be, strive to make your heart like unto My humble and gentle Heart. Never claim your rights.. Bear with great calm and patience everything that befalls you. Do not defend yourself when you are put to shame, though innocent. Let others triumph. Do not stop being good when you notice that your goodness is being abused. I Myself will speak up for you when it is necessary. Be grateful for the smallest of My graces, because your gratitude compels Me to grant you new graces ....."

Come to think of it, why did the Lord at judgment day equate the virtuous with the gentle sheep at His right and the condemned, with the noisy goats at His left? "Jesus, lamb of God, guide us in your righteous ways, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment