Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Humility and Happiness

a happiness formula)

For the occasion of the Year of the Priest, June 19, 2009 to June 19, 2010, Archbishop Fernando Capalla of Davao gave us a copy of a litany of humility for everyone, composed by Cardinal Merry del Val. It describes certain aspects of humility which corroborate the statements of Jesus for our benefit: "Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the man who humbles himself will be exalted" (Lk. 18:14); "There is more happiness in giving than in receiving" (Acts 20:35). Perhaps this could help counteract that spirit of envy or resentment that shows unhappiness at others' achievements. They term that as "crab mentality" in the pejorative sense, like crabs pulling down others climbing up. The right attitude is "to rejoice with those who rejoice and be sad with those in sorrow" (Rom. 12:15). Of course, the lasting happiness is that experienced by Jesus and the saints who follow His way: "Happy those who mourn: they shall be comforted. Happy those who hunger and thirst for what is right: they shall be comforted....Happy those who are persecuted in the cause of right: theirs is the kingdom of heaven...(Mt. 5:5, 10); "Happy are you when people hate you, drive you out, abuse you, denounce you as criminal, on account of the Son of Man. Rejoice when that day comes and dance for joy, for then your reward will be great in heaven. This was the way their ancestors treated the prophets" (Lk. 6:23).

Herewith the Litany of Humility for Everyone: (composed by Cardinal Merry del Val who often recited it after the celebration of the Holy Mass). Since love and humility are God's spiritual gifts, it is incorporated in a litany prayer asking it from the Lord Jesus who had assured us: "the one who asks always receives; the one who searches always finds; the one who knocks will always have the door opened to him" (Mt. 7:7).
Litany of Humility for Everyone

O Jesus! Meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, Jesus.
That others may be loved more than I, Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That in the opinion of the world others may increase and I may decrease,
Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus grant me the grace to desire it
That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus grant me the grace to desire it .
That others become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should,
Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.

No comments:

Post a Comment