Sunday, July 5, 2009

Spirit of Ecumenism

In the gospels we see samples of our Lord’s attitude of love and faith in people of different groups and this could guide us towards brethren of other faiths, Christian or non-christian. We must not narrow ourselves since Jesus warned us: “I tell you that many will come from east and west to take their places with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob at the feast in the kingdom of heaven; but the subjects of the kingdom will be turned out into the dark, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth” (Mt. 8:11).

“When Jesus entered Capernaum , an army captain approached him to ask his help, ‘Sir, my servant lies sick at home. He is paralyzed and suffers terribly.’ Jesus said to him ‘I will come and heal him.’ The captain answered ‘I am not worthy to have you under my roof. Just give an order and my boy will be healed. For I myself am a man under orders and I have soldiers under me. And if I say to one: Go, he goes, and if I say to another: Come, he comes, and to my servant: Do this, he does it. When Jesus heard this he was astonished and said to those who were following him, ‘I tell you, I have not found such faith in Israel . I say to you, many will come from east and west and sit down with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob at the feast in the kingdom of Heaven; but those who expected the kingdom will be thrown out into the darkness; there they will cry and grind their teeth.’ Then Jesus said to the captain, ‘Go home now. What you believed will happen.’ And that very moment his servant was healed.” (Mt. 8:5-13)

“John said to him, ‘Master, we saw a man who drove out demons by calling upon your name, and we tried to stop him because he was not following us.’ Jesus answered, ‘Do not forbid him, for no one who performs a miracle in my name can soon after speak evil of me. For whoever is not against us is for us’” (Mk. 9:38-40).

No comments:

Post a Comment