Monday, October 17, 2016

Solo Dios basta


(GOD ALONE SUFFICES)

The above saying is attributed to the famous bookmark of St. Teresa of Jesus (St. Teresa of Avila) which assures us that ‘everything will be alright’ in the light of faith: “Let nothing trouble you, let nothing scare you.  All things are passing; God alone is changeless. Patience gains all things. Who has God wants nothing. God alone suffices.”  The bookmark acknowledges the transiency of things and the gentle force, so to say, of positively viewing and accepting the problematic, unwanted, negative-laden events and outlooks in life, and transforming these to realistic judgment and energy-laden actions for improvement of relationships and total living—all these with the power of Faith, of an intimate relationship with God.

Even the great Spanish saint and first woman Doctor of the Church would fearlessly challenge herself to “All or Nothing” (Todo o Nada) in accomplishing what she saw as God’s will for her as founder and reformer of the Discalced Carmelites.  She’d leave no stone unturned in focusing on and going about ‘God’s business’ towards right re-direction of the Carmel spirituality. Guided by the Spirit, any man or woman of God would willingly and radically leave behind worldly values to attend to the “Father’s business” and gain access to the lasting riches of the Spirit.  “If you love your life, you will lose it.  If you give it up in this world, you will be given eternal life” (Jn. 12:25).

Jesus further advises those who desire to seek and follow Him: “Anyone who starts plowing and keeps looking back isn’t worth a thing to God’s kingdom” (Lk. 9:62).  The grace of conversion will be given those who do not turn back and the grateful heart will acclaim: “You, Lord, are all I want!  You are my choice, and you keep me safe.  I praise you, Lord, for being my guide.  Even in the darkest night, your teachings fill my mind.  I will always look to you, as you stand beside me and protect me from fear.  You have shown me the path to life, and you make me glad by being near to me.  Sitting at your right side, I will always be joyful” (Ps. 16: 5, 7-8, 11).

No comments:

Post a Comment