Monday, March 4, 2013

Paragon of true governance


The example of St. John the Baptist gives us an idea of what really true governance should be.  Not just only words but an honest attitude expressed in humble service.  This is what St. John the Baptist answered when he was asked whether he was the expected Messiah.  “You yourselves can bear me out: I said: I myself am not the Christ; I am the one who has been sent in front of him.  ‘The bride is only for the bridegroom; and yet the bridegroom’s friend, who stands there and listens, is glad when he hears the bridegroom’s voice.’ This same joy I feel, and now it is complete.  He must grow greater, I must grow smaller” (Jn. 3:28-30

True governance therefore is not just a pretense or make believe that we give first place to the people but an honest and sincere respect for their rights to be respected by the political servants who pledged their services at the time of elections.  So that the election promises may not be criticized as “it’s only words.” 

The true servants of the people must emulate those words of St. John the Baptist and really mean it when they pledge to serve the people and seek the common good of the country.  A public servant is not supposed to aggrandize himself or herself at the expense of the people but keep in mind the words of St. John the Baptist in serving persons or communities.  “He must grow great, I must grow smaller” (Jn. 4:30).

No comments:

Post a Comment