Monday, February 4, 2013

Brotherhood Among Bishops


It was on the occasion of the super-typhoon ‘Pablo’ which struck several north-eastern coastal towns of Davao Oriental on December 4, 2012.  I did not issue any public appeal for support during the Philippine Catholic Bishops Conference on Jan. 26-28, 2013.  I was greatly surprised that a good number of Filipino Catholic Bishops offered much help in cash or kind to alleviate the sufferings of our people who underwent difficulties due to lack of food and housing since the super-typhoon ‘Pablo’ of December 4 greatly affected the material needs of the people whose houses were destroyed and blown away, and their major crops and plants devastated.  I understand much of the information on the tragic happening had been disseminated through the media and news channels in radio, television and newspapers.

I just had the feeling that there must really be that attitude of brotherhood among our Catholic Bishops since many spontaneously offered their sympathy and help for our people and our Diocese of Mati, Davao Oriental even if we are situated quite far in the southeastern end of the Philippine Islands.  Surely this must be in accord with what the Holy Bible states in Mt. 12:46, quoting the words of Jesus: “He was still speaking to the crowds when his mother and his brothers appeared; they were standing outside and anxious to have a word with him.  But to the man who told him this Jesus replied, ‘Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?’  And stretching out his hand towards his disciples he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven, he is my brother and sister and mother’.”

That’s the feeling we get when we honestly seek to do God’s will as shown and proclaimed by our Lord Jesus.  There comes that strong bond of love among us. Yes, we become one big family caring for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment